Friday, September 26, 2008

Grading Changes That May Affect Your Child

The next time you look up your child's present grade on Info Direct, you may be surprised. That's because I have implemented some changes to the percentages used in calculating grades. After examining the amount of work each student has been doing in class, I realized that the portion of the student's grade that is determined by homework should be greater. Consequently, I changed some things and weighted the grades with a larger percentage going towards homework assignments, and less toward quizzes. I also added another section which is entitled "Participation," but what I call PACE. PACE is an acronym for Participation, Attitude, Cooperation, and Effort. That will be worth ten percent of each quarter's grades, but will not be inputted until the end of the quarter.

So, in a nutshell, here are the new weights or percentages of your child's math grade:

Assignments 40 %
Tests 30 %
Classwork 10 %
Quizzes 10 %
Participation 10 %

I believe this will be a combination which more fairly calculates how your child is doing this year.

Please post any questions or comments you may have, or e-mail me at the school.

17 comments:

Jordan Gulbronson said...

Thanks Mr. B. for putting that on your blog so my parents know about that change.

Jordan Gulbronson

maria swiersz said...

thanks Mr. b
My parents agreed with making homework worth more points!
Maria swiersz

Quade said...

Thanks Mr. B that is the best way for students to get better grades an become a smarter person


Quade Marinell

Tucker Z said...

Thanks Mr. B! This will help me a lot.
Tucker Z.

David F. said...

Thanks Mr.B! This will help a lot!
David F.

Principal, Mel Mitchell said...

Thank you for taking the time to look into that and letting the parents know!

Nancy R said...

Thanks Mr. Blikstad for your dedication. The blog is great too!

julie w said...

My parents and I like this change!

Brooke S. said...

thank you Mr. B for making homework worth more points and help improve grades

schafekaitlin said...

Thank you Mr. B for the changes....u rock and this will help me alot.

taylor_rezz said...

I think that this is a great idea!
yay!
~ Taylor Rezz

Megan Morrow said...

Thanks for the changes, Mr. B! This will help a lot. :)
Megan Morrow

The Dillons said...

Thanks for this change. It will help Mallory alot.

Mrs. D said...

Ok with Taylor and Mrs. Derums

anna r. said...

Thanks for posting this blog it was very helpful my mom thinks so too:). Also, i like that its pink....:D

From
Your faveorite student
Anna.

mramsey said...

Mr. Blinkstad,
I agree with making homework worth more. I also appreciate the fact that you work extra with the kids on Tuesdays and Thursdays during electives if they need it. And, you new addition is adorable.
Thanks
Marian Ramsey

Haley Zeigler said...

Thank you Mr. Blikstad!

my parents agree that we should have more of a percentage on homework so thank you. And I think it is cool how you have added participation!!